Monday, November 8, 2010

Great Expectations Pg.56-113 11/08/10

In our reading this week, we learned more about Miss havisham. I don't think she was ever married because of her name, "Miss" Havisham. I wonder what happened if she was never married.

We went to the setting of a bar. At the bar, Joe is talking with two men. One man turns out to be the convict Pip had stolen from. I noticed that the author brought up that the convict kept looking at Pip in an unexplainable way. I also wondered why the convict had given Pip the money. Does Pip meeting the convict again foreshadow somewhere else n the book?

The author also takes us back to Miss Havisham's house. Dickens describes all of the guests in Miss Havisham's house as toadies and humbugs. What is a toady? What is a humbug? There was a fight too. I didn't quite understand this part. Why was the pale young gentleman in Miss Havisham's house? Pip also meets up with Estella again. I found it rather odd that Estella and Pip become such friends after Estella is so rude to Pip. I did not see the kiss coming. I was comprehending from earlier in the book that Estella and Pip weren't real close, but i was wrong.

Why did Miss Havisham invite Joe instead of Mrs. Joe? I thought Mrs. Joe would have been the one Miss Havisham would have invited.

Who exactly is Orlick? How does Orlick relate to Joe? I wonder if Orlick somehow has something to do with any of the other characters in the book.

I really like how this book is starting to become more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey!
    If I were Pip, I wouldn't have taken the money. Since the money is from a convict, he could end up getting in trouble for taking the money from him or someone may find out about him helping the convicts. Maybe the money was meant as a reward for Pip helping them.
    I also didn't understand why Pip has a crush on Estella because she used to criticize him and be so rude to him.

    ReplyDelete