Monday, May 9, 2011

Blog 2: Lord of the Flies, Chapter II

In this chapter of Lord of the Flies, the boys meet to make rules and decide who is going to do what. Ralph then tells everyone of the fire they need to make in order to be rescued. Trying to help everyone and find out what's best for the whole group, Piggy gets pushed aside. I think that Piggy is the rightful leader, instead of Ralph. Piggy is the one who wants rules that everybody will follow, including Ralph and Jack. Piggy symbolizes the many people of our society that barely get noticed, but are either very smart, or have good ideas. Piggy is also the most civilized person of the whole group. Many of the boys shed their clothes, but some didn't. This shows that their is little civilization in this group as well as some places in our society today.

The conch is also a symbol. I believe the conch is the symbol for authority and power. Anyone who holds the conch has the right to speak, besides Piggy most of the time. I also think that there may be more of a meaning for it later in the book.

The little boy with the birthmark, is said, by Piggy, to have died in the fire. This seems to maybe foreshadow something later. I also think that Piggy loosing his breath was caused by his asthma and may have to do with something later in the book as well.

I dislike Ralph and Jack the most of all of the characters. Ralph isn't as bad as Jack, but just ditched Piggy as soon as Jack came into the picture. Jack is a hot-headed, all control type of guy. He always wants to be in control of everything that goes on, and wants to make all of the rules and decisions.

I found a similie on page 46. "A tree exploded in the fire like a bomb." This shows the intensity of the fire and how easily it is burning the island and everything that the boys may need to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment